"I had the pleasure of performing a complete IM nailing procedure in a wetlab with metamorphosis's navigation technology. This technology is jaw-dropping, with unprecedented simplicity."
Dr. Mike Gardner
Stanford Univ. Hospital
We develop revolutionary AI technologies for navigation and robotics in orthopaedic and spinal surgery
A software-only solution for precise 3D navigationOur technology is a software-only solution aimed at precisely navigating, based on 2D X-rays, either a human or robotic surgeon in musculoskeletal surgery (ranging from trauma procedures to orthopaedics and spinal/SI fusion). No additional apparatuses required: no cameras, no trackers, no reference bodies.
3D registration in the flash of an eyeFor each single 2D X-ray acquired, a 3D registration of anatomy, tools, and implants is computed in the flash of an eye (< 2 seconds). Such an instant registration is unrivaled in speed and simplicity and can thus be repeated whenever needed.
We can see where others are blindBy evaluating intra-operative X-rays rather than externally fixated trackers, we can see where others are blind. This makes navigation trustworthy.
We challenge perceived wisdoms in computer-assisted and robotic surgery
Computer assisted surgery (CAS) systems always involve additional apparatuses and procedural steps. CAS systems prolong surgical procedures. Everybody knows that.
In spinal surgery, robots are just glorified sleeve holders. They cannot be trusted to autonomously operate on patients. You'd be crazy to suggest otherwise.
Really? We beg to differ.
In collaboration with selected leading surgeons and hospitals, we are showing the world what Artificial Intelligence Assisted Surgery is capable of.
Witness the metamorphosis.
Note: This website describes technology that has not yet received approval as a medical device. Our technology is not yet available for sale.
submitted patent families
certified quality management system
surgeries & labs participated in by team members
- Prof. Peter Schreier, Ph.D. Chief Executive OfficerPeter holds a Ph.D. in electrical engineering from the University of Colorado at Boulder, USA. He has more than 20 years of research and leadership experience in various roles in academia and industry on four continents. Peter has a concurrent appointment as Professor of Electrical Engineering and IT at Paderborn University.
- Dipl.-Ing. Arno Blau Chief Technology OfficerArno is a graduate in electrical engineering from Technical University of Munich, Germany. He has more than 15 years of R&D and management experience developing Computer-Assisted-Surgery systems, including at industry leaders Brainlab and Stryker. Arno is an inventor of more than 30 pending patent applications and granted patents.
- Dr. med. Jürgen Schmidt Chief Medical OfficerJürgen completed his medical education at Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich, Germany. He has extensive experience as a senior trauma surgeon, emergency physician, and team leader at Augsburg University Hospital, one of the largest Level I trauma centers in Germany. Jürgen has always had a passion for innovation in the OR.
- "Already in the first surgery, it worked perfectly -- without much training. Hole in one!"
Dr. Sandro-Michael Heining
University Hospital Zurich, Switzerland
- "So many advantages with such little effort, and amazingly simple to use."
Dr. Kim Rau
University Hospital Augsburg, Germany
- "I was always skeptical of computer assistance in trauma surgery. But this is a real game changer."
Dr. Lutz Mahlke
St. Vincenz Hospital, Germany
MEDICAL ADVISORY BOARD
- Prof. Michael Gardner, M.D. Professor & Chief of the Orthopaedic Trauma Service and Vice Chair of Clinical Operations, Stanford University Hospital, USADr. Gardner specializes in orthopaedic trauma surgery, and treating all aspects of fractures of the upper extremity (except the hand), lower extremity, and pelvis, as well as nonunions and malunions. He has published over 180 scientific articles and 38 book chapters, and edited 5 textbooks on mastering advanced surgical techniques in fracture surgery.
- Dr. med. Lutz Mahlke Chief of Orthopaedics, Trauma, and Sport Traumatology at St. Vincenz Hospital, Paderborn, GermanyDr. Mahlke specializes in pelvis and hip surgery, with many years of experience in navigation, 3D imaging, and hybrid surgery. He has been Chief of Orthopaedics, Trauma, and Sport Traumatology at St. Vincenz Hospital, Paderborn, since 2009. Since 2018 he has served on the Advisory Board of AO Trauma Germany.
- Prof. Cyril Mauffrey, M.D. Chief, Dept. of Orthopedics, Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy at Denver Health Medical Center and Professor of Orthopedics at the Colorado University School of MedicineDr. Mauffrey is Editor-in-Chief for the European Journal of Orthopedics and serves on several other editorial boards. He travels nationally and internationally to give talks on orthopaedic trauma, particularly on pelvic and acetabular fractures. With over 200 peer-reviewed publications, book chapters, and textbooks on orthopaedic trauma, his research focuses on the treatment and outcomes following complex pelvic and acetabular fractures.
- Prof. Sean E. Nork, M.D. Professor & Trauma Section Chief, Orthopedic Trauma Surgery Clinic at Harborview Medical Center, University of Washington, USADr. Nork's clinical interests include orthopaedic traumatology, non-union fractures, periarticular fractures and pilon fractures. He is the Chief of Orthopaedic Trauma at Harborview Medical Center and the University of Washington where he has worked for over 20 years. Dr. Nork has published more than 80 peer-reviewed scientific articles and presented at numerous medical meetings.
- PROF. TIMOTHY WITHAM, M.D. Professor of Neurosurgery and Orthopaedic Surgery & Director, The Johns Hopkins Neurosurgery Spinal Fusion laboratory, The Johns Hopkins University, USADr. Witham specializes in spinal deformity and degenerative diseases of the spine. He has been a leader in the field of Augmented Reality guided spinal surgery. He has published over 250 peer reviewed scientific manuscripts, has lectured nationally and internationally, has authored multiple book chapters and sits on the editorial review boards for several journals.
Join our team
Revolutionize orthopaedic surgery together with us!
Do you enjoy working for a dynamic startup in an environment that values creativity, curiosity, and critical thinking? We are looking for future team members to expand our teams in machine learning, software development, as well as IT security.
Candidates for full-time positions should have a completed degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering, or comparable. We are also interested in part-time student trainees ("Werkstudenten m/w/d") who are currently enrolled in such degree programs. In collaboration with Paderborn University, we also offer topics for Master's and Bachelor's theses. Medical expertise is not expected.
For the ML/algorithms team, we are looking for team members with proficiency in machine learning (in particular, deep learning) and/or image processing, ideally complemented by expertise in mathematical optimization. You should have project experience in software development with Python, including object-oriented programming.
For the software development team, project experience in software development with Python, including object-oriented programming, is required and experience with Cython or CUDA C++ and a web-based GUI framework (such as Angular) is advantageous.
We are also looking for future team members with a background in IT security & IT administration and experience with network infrastructure, TrueNAS, test servers, and backup strategies. Desirable is experience with git, SQL, and Python as well as web frameworks (Flask, Django), Docker, and virtual machines.
If that sounds like you and you’d like to apply or just find out more, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We are an equal opportunity employer and embrace diversity in all of its forms. We are looking forward to hearing from you!
VISIT OR WRITE TO US
Warburger Str. 100
Building P1 (EIM-E)
33098 Paderborn, Germany
+49 5251 2971680